Saxon & Viking Artefacts
Saxon & Viking Artefacts by N.Mills.
Soft back, 106 pages, Illustrated Colour, 21cm x 29.5cm
The best visual reference to British metal detector finds from this period with expert commentary from a leading writer and antiquities dealer and up-to-date valuations for two grades.
- Celtic & Roman Artefacts by Nigel Mills (Z27CR)
- Medieval Artefacts by Nigel Mills(Z27MA)
- Special offer for all 3 Artefacts books(Z27ART)
- Time line of the Saxon & Viking period
- Styles of art
- Notes for collectors
- Strap ends
- Cruciform, Long & equal arm brooches
- Disc brooches
- Annular & plate brooches & dress pins
- Keys, spoons, hanging bowl & casket mounts
- Jewellery & beads
- Stirrup mounts & Harness fittings
- Weights & gaming counters
- Wrist clasps & dress hooks
- Sword & scabbard fittings, knives & weapons
- Genealogical chart of the Norse gods
- Select bibliography
On the back cover:
This exciting new book covers the period from the 5th to 11th centuries and - together with "Celtic & Roman Artefacts" and "Medieval Artefacts" (also by Nigel Mills) - completes the historical series covering detector finds right from the Bronze Age to Tudor times. Illustrated in full colour and with over 250 superb photographs of individual objects, it encompasses the full spectrum of everyday items in use in Anglo-Saxon England in chronological sequence. This selection of illustrations has been built up over a period of 15 years from various collections. The objects covered include: buckles, strap ends, pins, cruciform brooches, disc brooches, animal brooches, jewellery, beads, stirrup mounts, wrist clasps, dress hooks, keys, knives, weights, gaming counters and weapons. There is also a Norse mythology genealogical chart of the gods. Each item is individually valued in two states of preservation, fine and very fine and there are additional notes and advice for collectors.
The book is an invaluable reference work for metal detectorists, collectors, dealers, museums and archaeologists.